Can I lay artificial grass on soil? Well, the answer to this particular question can vary from individual to individual. But the consensus is, you can lay it, but it’d require a minimum of work before placing it directly on the soil.
Plenty of methods is there in terms of laying the turf on your lawn or backyard for an outstanding appearance that guests and the children love alike! It’s up to you to choose the one that suits them best.
Synthetic turfs are revolutionizing the way we used to think. Previously, having a natural grass backyard or lawn was chiefly about natural grass. You’d have to trim it every week or so while watering every day.
It required a backbreaking workload and spending likewise. And that’s where the synthetic turf came in. This advanced technology replaces your real grass and instantly offers a soft, smooth, and lush green lawn!
Can I Lay Artificial Grass On Soil?
Yes, you can, but before getting the artificial grass laid on the soil, you need to perform a couple of tasks. You can’t just bring the grass in and throw it on the lawn. If you want the turf to last, it’d need minimum work to prepare the soil first.
Some ways only require a single layer of covering before placing it, which is almost the same as laying straight on the soil. Let’s get to know about it!
Some Tasks You Can Perform To Lay Artificial Grass on the Soil
Here, before you go and start laying, we’d like to demonstrate several activities which should be performed to prepare the soil and accept the turf.
Preparing Laying Area
You’d have to decide a bit earlier than a potential synthetic turf will be planted and act accordingly.
First, use a weed killer two weeks before getting rid of all the existing weeds on the surface. And make sure all the remaining vegetation is wiped out from roots before heading forward.
- CERTIFIED FOR ORGANIC USE — Completely eliminates and desiccates weeds and grasses without using toxic chemicals. Made straight from corn grown in the USA. OMRI listed weed killer and certified for organic use.
- KILLS WEEDS FAST — Eliminate any type of weed in just a matter of hours. Expect full desiccation in less than 24 hours. Green Gobbler contains 20% acetic acid. Use on crabgrass, dandelions, clover weeds, white clover, moss, etc. Works best for weeds exposed to direct sunlight.
- POWERFUL FORMULA — NO cancer-causing chemicals. Glyphosate-free. 20% formula is four times stronger than traditional table vinegar. Made strictly from ethanol distilled from corn grain.
- SAFE TO USE ANYWHERE — Perfect for residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural use. Apply where weeds and grasses are not desired. Use on driveways, sidewalks, concrete, mulch beds, pavers, flower beds, parking lots, farmlands, barns, etc. Ready to use right out the container.
- 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – If you are not pleased, call or email us with your order number and we will reimburse your entire purchase. We value our customers and we stand behind all of our products. Expect a refund with no questions asked.
Getting Rid of the Topsoil
It’s a major consideration if you’re planning to get the turf installed on the soil. You’d need to remove 3 to 4″ of topsoil so the synthetic turf can be accommodated. Try looking for any remaining roots and dead vegetation after removal.
Remember, don’t dig up if it rained yesterday and the soil is all wet. Could you wait for it to dry up well?
Plan Out the Drainage
Then it would help if you planned the drainage for clearing out water quickly after rain. It will drain out the trapped water without any impediment.
Waterproof the Area
After this, you should waterproof the area, so it doesn’t suffer from sagging in the future. If you’re looking to get things done in short and with less spending, then using plastic bender boards can be a good idea. Just drop them side by side to cover the entire area.
Adding Weed Barrier and Base Material
Finally, you can use a weed barrier and base material for the final touch. The geotextile barrier is one of the heavier barriers out there for stopping dense weed growth. As a result, it will also impede the earthworms from digging through your turf.
Then to finish up the process, pour down base material with crushed rock, fine gravel, and granite. It will prevent further sagging and enhance the drainage to a whole new level!
- Weed Control Environment Friendly – Made Of Heavy-Duty Professional Grade Polypropylene Material, chemical free,durable, sturdy and corrosion resistant. Eco-friendly preventing unwanted weeds from germinating without chemicals.Keep your soil health. Doesn't harm the ecosystem of your yard and llowing your plants to thrive.
- Premium Weed Barrier Fabric - Heavy Duty Weed blocker fabric is needle-punched to transmit water and air, preserving the soil moisture. Fabric allows air and water through, superior permeability to keep the soil nourished, but still keeps weeds away.
- Erosion Control Efficiency - Weed Blocking Fabric Can Be Quickly Implemented To Contain Materials And Prevent Further Erosion On Your Gardening, Lines Helped To Judge Straightness And Spacing.
- Sturdy & Corrosion Resistant - UV Stabilized And Great Thick Garden Fabric Will Last More Than 5 Years In Direct Sunlight, Provide a Long Time Weed Protection, Just Water Cleaning To Be Reusable
- Widely Application: Weed block works great as an underlayer for artificial grass, vegetable patch, flower bed,ground cover, garden, driveways. You Can DIY Cloth Size By yourself Will Not Fray.
If you’re still asking whether I can lay artificial grass on soil or not. Then we’d suggest that to lay it on the soil directly would be a complete disaster. But, following the short outline we’ve provided would be a better course of action on the whole since it has been the view of almost all the experts in the field.
On top of that, the described approach isn’t too difficult to perform either and would provide better drainage and support all in all. So, we’d certainly suggest you go properly prepare the soil before laying down the synthetic turf.
So, get the shovel ready and get to work for a stunning, clean, and natural, synthetic lawn right now!
With outstanding experience as a content strategist, Nesar leads the team with exceptional strategies and techniques. He has a solid understanding of the company's marketing strategy and how it will be implemented on all platforms and has the capability to communicate that information effectively with other departments within the organization.
Further, with his deep understanding of marketing and relative fields he plans to the business goals will be achieved. For over a year, Nesar’s contribution to The Greenoma is unparalleled and his sheer skill and firm determination has made us who we are today.