Simply put, synthetic turfs are now being used almost everywhere. From soccer fields to backyards and lawns of regular households, you would find them very well present. But is artificial grass toxic?
Well, they’re made of artificial materials, so it’s quite normal to have chemical ingredients present in the formulation. Our job is to locate whether those chemical compounds are safe.
Right now, households are gradually switching to synthetic alternatives.
More and more, they’re replacing natural grass with more vibrant and hassle-free artificial grass options. But just like any other element, it can have its perks. And that’s the side we’ll be talking about right now!
Is Artificial Grass Toxic?
Artificial grass made by substandard manufacturers can have elements that aren’t good for a human encounter.
That’s why it’s highly critical for you to judge a particular manufacturer before purchasing a solution.
What are some of the issues?
Suppose you’re looking for a one-word answer to the question of toxicity. The answer would be yes; they do carry subtle toxic elements just as any other synthetic elements do.
Now, it goes to show who’s manufacturing and what substances are being used to construct them.
One of the things where chemicals are high is the “crumb rubber” used on the upper portion that improves padding. Crumb rubber is usually formulated from recycled tires which can contain various chemical components.
During and after the production of these turfs, it can contact several other compounds such as zinc, manganese, iron, and lead. Although it won’t immediately cause any issues, long-term exposure to turfs containing mentioned elements can have health risks.
On top of that, synthetic turf can also have flame retardants to make it anti-flammable, which can also cause health risks.
Natural Grass Can Have Issues As Well
But, don’t just go with the flow, just like the artificial turf. Natural grass has its perks. Most of the issues are related to the use of herbicides and pesticides. Many homeowners want to use these chemicals to protect the grass from insects and diseases, but exposure and ingestion of these deadly chemicals can result in catastrophic consequences.
Further, if not kept clean, natural grass becomes the breeding ground for various bacteria, affecting the kids and the pets.
Get Quality Turfs
So, how to perform damage control in such situations? The first thing in your list of activities is getting synthetic turf from the top and the most reputed manufacturer in the industry. Even if it requires some extra spending, we’d still recommend you think about the family members’ health safety.
Consulting with the Manufacturer
It’s another important task you should perform before going ahead with a big purchase. Look, quality turfs can last up to 20 long years, and you’d want a lasting solution at once instead of dealing with the hassle of installation and spending every two years.
So, as you’d most probably be going for the longest-lasting one (which is the wisest choice), you must discuss it openly with the manufacturer.
Contact the support and ask about which chemicals are being used while manufacturing the turf. We have already mentioned some chemical compounds like lead, manganese, zinc, and iron.
On top of it, as recycled tires can also pose a threat after long-term use, you must make sure they’re not using such harmful elements during the production.
Also, don’t forget to mention if kids and pets are going to use the turf.
Goasis Lawn Realistic Artificial Grass Turf
- THICK & REALISTIC ARTIFICAL GRASS RUG: Grass height about 1.37” in length, 70 oz total weight per square yard, high-density artificial grass. With 4-tone color, soft and lush and the thatch looks & feels like real grass. Providing you with year round green and turf enjoyment, perfect for all indoor and outdoor projects.
- PERFORMANCE :Made of the highest quality polyethylene and poly polypropylene yarns, high temperature synthetic material , superior resilience & durability. Rubber backed with drainage hole, easy to clean and can be dry quickly.
- FRIENDLY & SAVE MONEY: It is friendly and safe for pets and children
- Perfect for Outdoor decor, such as Garden, Lawn, Patio, Landscape, Backyard, Deck,Balcony, Porch and other outdoor place. Also used as Mat, Carpet,Doormats in indoor Home.
- Save Money and Time: It is easy to be cut into any size.Just enjoy a perfect show garden all year round or a free green space
- Material: Polyethylene, Polypropylene
- Color: Natural grass colored with a thatch system
- Pet Allowed: Yes
- Type: Non abrasive
- Offers a more realistic experience than usual
- UV resistant grass reduces color fading due to sun exposure
- Foru pattern tone mimics real grass
- Easier installation procedure
- Can come wrinkled due to tight shipping
Come to a Decision
It’s your turn to decide which way to go. Both natural and synthetic grass have their unique problems. In terms of toxicity, both can have a serious negative impact. But, if you remain careful enough and buy products with the utmost care and supervision, potential health risks should be averted.
Now, measure the cons of both sides and go for the one that is the safest.
So, is artificial grass toxic? Are all the synthetic products in the market toxic?
Well, it’s up to further examination and query. You’d have to personally speak to the manufacturer in detail and find out whether the product they’re offering is safe or not. Each item comes with its issues, and risks and synthetic turfs are no different either.
From GMOs to plastic products, each has its positives and downsides, which shows how heavily we’re dependent on chemicalized and nurtured objects.
So, be critical, analyze each item for potential health risks, and lead a more fulfilling life without physical challenges.