Getting your artificial grass fit perfectly requires quite a bit of struggle. Among the challenges, one of the biggest difficulties is cutting the grass while laying it perfectly on the ground.
Plus, you’d encounter many backyard design objects, patio, or garden edges.
You’d also have to cut up to the fence or walls, and while doing so, you may lose precious grass blades if the cutting tool you’re using isn’t good enough.
That’s why you must find out the best tool for cutting artificial grass. It’ll help you precisely set up the entire grass solution while giving it a completely natural appearance.
Best Tool for Cutting Artificial Grass
That’s why in the following segments, we’d be presenting you with some of the exceptionally effective cutting tools for your synthetic turfs. Let’s not waste more time and dive straight into the business!
Keyfit SOD Knife – Artificial Turf Cutting Tools
- 8" Stainless steel blade with super sharp serrations made for sod & turf 5" handle 13" overall length ~Comes with a black nylon weave sheath
- Perfectly cuts in sprinkler guards, concrete donuts and Sprinkler Buddy
- Cut in new sod around landscape beds ~Repair dog spots, repair lawn and turf by simply cutting sod to fit.
- Great for cutting sod around overgrown sprinkler heads ~Sprinkler head trimmer ~Trim sod for sprinkler adjustment and sprinkler replacement
In the first part of our list, we have the Keyfit Tools Knife. If you want a knife for cutting fake grass, this unbelievably well-received knife can certainly provide you with it. Let’s look at what makes it so popular.
- Added sheath for protection
- Serrated design for exceptional performance
- Specifically designed sod knife
- Can cut sprinkler heads
The thing we’d like to talk about first is the type of knife. If you didn’t yet know, this one’s a sod knife. This means these knives are designed especially for cutting through your grassy areas smoothly.
Apart from the designs, the most important part of your synthetic grass knife is its sharpness. You’d be delighted to learn that this one is incredibly sharp. This super-sharp knife will easily offer you a clean cut every time.
One of the issues that you’d often hear people complain about is the bluntness of the knives after long use. But with this one, that too is something you’re protected from
The handle is always a matter of consideration for those who love to go through the ins and outs of an item. Well, the handle in this one is made ergonomic, which will offer a quality, butter-like cutting experience.
Although many knives come equipped with a sheath, some units may lack one, and this is the only possible downside we managed to find out about this one.
On the whole, you can go for it if you want to get the best artificial grass cutting knife out there right now!
- A specially designed sod knife cuts like a butter
- Exceptionally sharp edges
- Doesn’t go blunt easily
- The ergonomic handle offers quality grip while working
- Some units may come without a sheath
Stedi Heavy Duty Scissors for Cutting Synthetic Turf
- Safety Lock Design: After use, the lock can be buckled to reduce space occupation and prevent accidental injury by sharp edges.
- High-quality Steel: 420 stainless steel has certain wear resistance and corrosion resistance, high hardness, quenching heat treatment to enhance its hardness and wear resistance. The lower blade has a cutting notch, as well as small teeth for sharp cutting
- Wide Range of Applications: Ideal for cutting wire, wood branches, dowel rods, rope, cord, cardboard, leather and many other materials
- Strong Toughness: In the long time shearing operation, the restoring force of the strong and tough spring can reduce the fatigue of the repetitive shearing operation
- Non-slip and Wear-resistant: Manufacturing of common materials for high-quality goods, good environmental performance, TPR handle follows human body design, has good comfort
At the 2nd spot, we have a specially constructed heavy-duty scissor to help get your faux grass in shape. Time to look at some of the major features of this one!
- Added spring mechanism
- High carbon SS construction
- Versatile use
- Serrated blades
What material is being used as the chief construction material is extremely important. Well, Setdi scissors use a tremendously durable 420 stainless steel material which will provide you with a wear-resistant performance.
It comes with a technologically advanced design for offering a better cutting capability. Its lower blade has sharper, small teeth areas to get the tough cutting areas in order.
Furthermore, this incredibly well-built scissor is highly versatile. You can also cut ropes, cords, branches, and wires apart from cutting artificial grass.
The best thing about this is the spring design. You won’t have to apply much pressure while cutting the turf, which will help you cut it without tiring the hands much.
Finally, like the Keyfit Tools SOD Knife, this one comes with an incredibly comfortable and grip-enhancing handle. As a result, you’d be able to perform all the cutting operations without slipping with this one.
However, after heavy use, the blades can get a bit dull, which is one of the issues you can consider. Still, on the whole, this should be an incredible item to use!
- Made using 420 stainless steel for exceptional durability
- Specially designed for offering quality turf cutting
- Spring design makes it easy to operate without tiring the hands
- Comfortable maneuverability using a quality handle grip
- Blades can get dull after use
C.JET TOOL 10″ Heavy Duty Scissor for Cutting Artificial Grass
- The stainless steel blade and the curve-blade design make you steady and labor-saving while cutting
- The big angle design between blades and handles of scissors makes your hand never to touch any object while you operate the scissors.
- Adjustable-range design of the blades makes you easy to change over switch and satisfied your requirement while you cut different object.
- Turning space at the end of the blades for better control whether cutting a curve or 90 degree angle.
- The perfect scissors for cutting cardboard, carpets and recycling. Time saving without hurting your hands
At the 3rd spot, we have another scissor on the list. This one is way above the average ones and something we’d recommend only for those who are looking for a premium grade cutting experience.
- Serrated blade construction
- Angular design
- Exceptional adjustability options
- Steady control while cutting
One of the key factors that separate this particular scissor from the regular ones is its unique design. It has a curved design, which will make cutting the latex backing of the turf a whole lot easier.
Further, the intelligent design also includes adjustable range technology. This means you can adjust the scissor to cut specific objects. It will greatly aid you in getting precise cuts in your turf.
Like the Stedi Heavy Duty Scissors, this one too comes with sturdy stainless steel blades. As a result, the scissor should offer you lasting performance.
While cutting the artificial turf, a major factor is finding out different angles and curves to make sure you’re placing turf accurately enough. Your scissors or knives would have to have the capability to cut up to the walls, so no gaps remain when you finish cutting it. And that’s exactly what these special scissors will offer you. So, you’d get unbelievably precise cuts around the edges using this one.
One downside is that you can’t lock it in any position. However, considering the tons and tons of benefits this premium item has to offer, this is something you should surely go for.
- Curved design for a better grass backing cutting
- Adjustable range lets the user customize the scissor for specific operations
- Offers exceptionally precise cuts around angles
- Heavy-duty stainless steel blades for long term operation
- Can’t be locked in different positions
CANARY Scissors For Cutting Fake Grass
- [BEST JAPANESE CARPET CUTTING TOOL] These scissors are ideal for cutting and trimming carpets and rugs. Smooth and accurate cutting is possible. The spring-loaded handle assists your work and keeps your hands from tiring even after long hours of work. It is a great hand tool for DIYers and professionals alike.
- [RAZOR SHARP JAPANESE STEEL] The blade is made of durable & sharp quality Japanese stainless steel. The fine, craftsman-finished micro serrated blade grips even slippery materials and realize stress-free cutting. These scissors are of the highest quality, handcrafted one by one by Japanese craftsmen in Seki, Japan's cutlery town.
- [ANGLED BLADE] The angle between the handle and the blade allows you to cut through large carpets without your hand getting in the way.
- [ALLPURPOSE HEAVY DUTY SHEARS] Since the quality Japanese steel is tough and durable, you can cut various materials, even hard things. They can be used not only for cutting carpets but also for cutting artificial turf, metal mesh, cardboard, denim, rubber sheets, vinyl, etc. It is a handy all-purpose tool to have in your toolbox.
- [PRODUCT INFORMATION] Blade: Japanese stainless steel / Handle: ABS / Overall length: 8.07 inches / Blade length: 1.96 inches / Weight 0.286 lbs / Made in SEKI, Japan / CANARY official English instruction
Close to the final part of the guide, we have another quality multi-tool for cutting artificial grass by Canary. If you aren’t looking for a high premium option and want a basic tool to just easily cut off the extra fake grass areas, this one can surely be a good pick.
- Japanese blade for added sharpness
- Angular outer design for ease in trimming
- Durability enhanced performance
- Comfort friendly design
Spring mechanism has also been utilized in this one, just like the Stedi Heavy Duty Scissors, which will make trimming your synthetic grass a lot easier and tire-free.
On top of that, this one comes with sharper Japanese blade construction. Usually, the latex backing of the artificial grass may seem a bit difficult to cut using average knives or scissors. But the added sharpness from its quality blades will make your job more convenient.
One of the core characteristics of this scissor is its incredible design advantage. So, no matter what, you’d get an accurate cutting capability using this specially designed scissor.
Further, the handle comes with a specially curved design to accommodate your fingers perfectly for a comfortable trimming experience.
Finally, the angled design of the blades makes it tremendously easy for you to cut artificial grass carpets without your hands getting in the way.
One issue with this one is it may not seem like it has been made, especially for cutting fake grass for some users. So, you may find it a bit difficult to work with this one.
However, on the whole, it should offer you a regular cutting experience!
- Sharper Japanese blade technology
- Spring mechanism makes trimming easier
- Curvy handle for easier maneuverability
- Angled design makes it safer
- May not offer the best output against artificial grass
WORX Cordless Electric Scissors for Cutting Faux Grass
- [STRONGER, BETTER SCISSORS] So what is the Zip Snip. They’re Cordless Electric Scissors. They can cut tougher material with far less hand strain than manual scissors
- [BLADE STAYS SHARP] The automatic sharpening system ensures you’ll always have a clean, smooth cut, on cloth, carpet, leather and more
- [HOLDS A CHARGE FOR MONTHS] The 4V MaxLithium battery gives it the spin it needs to slice through materials, and holds that charge for a long time
- [SAFETY FIRST] Both the trigger and the lock-out switch need to be pressed to make the Zip Snip operate, so it’ll only work when you’ve got a firm grasp on things
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
Finally, if you don’t want to go through all the hassle of going through each item to locate the best one, then you can just go ahead with this industrial cutter scissor by Worx. Technologically advanced and way ahead of the regular scissors, this one should be the best pick.
- Fully digitized performance
- Technologically advanced design
- Automated cutting capability
- Designed especially for carpet and similar grass backing
The first thing that we’d like to mention is that it’s a completely digitized device. So, unlike the rest of the knives and scissors in the list, you won’t have to manually trim the edges of your grass; instead, the motorized blade will cut through the backing of your artificial grass.
Another unique element in this device is an automated sharpening blade. That means it will make sure the blade never gets blunt and offers you clean cuts consistently. This would be an ideal feature for getting the tough latex backing of your synthetic turf.
Being a highly powerful motorized device, it offers you unlimited versatility. From cardboard boxes to synthetic turf and fabric, it can deal with almost anything you name
Finally, the MaxLithium Battery solution integrated into the device offers you long-standing battery life and lets you work free of cords and without interruption.
However, one small thing to note is that the charger port on the device may seem a bit too small and can break easily.
Yet considering the multitudes of benefits it’s offering, this should surely be the best artificial grass cutting tool you can go for.
- Completely tire free, digitized cutting process
- Automated sharpening of the blade keeps it sharp even after long and heavy use
- Cuts through latex backing like butter
- Can trim a large array of different items
- Long-standing battery life lets users work without interruption
- Charger connecting port too small and flimsy
What You’ll Need to Cut Artificial Grass
Here we’ll look at the things you’d need to cut artificial grass properly.
Wearing gloves while trimming your synthetic turf is a must. You should always have proactive gloves on so that you don’t get accidental cuts while working.
The primary elements that help you perform the cutting job are the blades or scissors. You can find tons of different blades for cutting mats or the backing of your artificial turf.
Make sure these blades or scissors are specially built to tackle the hard latex backing for your artificial grass.
How to Hide Your Artificial Grass Seams from Showing
The whole point of having artificial grass in your backyard is to provide a completely natural appearance. And that’s why you won’t ever want seams to appear while installing the grass. Here is how you can prevent it:
The most important part of preventing seams from appearing is positioning the turf correctly. Poorly placed turf can easily show the seams.
Do a clean measurement and leave the edge slightly longer than the actual measurement while trimming different turf areas. Having incorrect measurements while placing a turf would inevitably end up showing the seams. It will reduce the possibility of running short and exposing the seams.
Attach and Glue it Down Well
Finally, attach the places firmly where you’re attaching two separate parts of synthetic grass. Use a highly powerful turf glue to get them to strongly stitch rows to the ground. This will reduce the seam visibility down.
What are the best knives for cutting artificial grass?
Going for Sod knives like Keyfit Tools Knife are the best knives for cutting synthetic turf.
Why do we need to cut artificial grass?
Artificial grass needs to be cut for proper installation.
Can you use scissors to cut artificial grass?
You can find tons of scissors for cutting synthetic grass. It’s, however, better to use scissors which are specially made for cutting synthetic turf.
How do you secure artificial grass edges?
You can secure the fake grass edges to timber, plastic, or steel edging.
What tools do you need to fit artificial grass?
You’d require different artificial grass maintenance tools to get the grass installed perfectly. Those tools include knives, rakes, nails, shovels, adhesives, and hammers.
After a long and detailed discussion on the material needed for artificial grass, we’re at the final parts of our guide. Well, in our tremendously comprehensive guide, we’ve brought to light some of the best tools for cutting artificial grass.
We analyzed their features, talked about the benefits, and highlighted some potential issues to provide you with a thorough understanding of the topic.
If you’re going to lay artificial grass in your backyard, you must have a quality cutting device to get the job done fast and without any errors.
So, what are you waiting for? Pick the one that suits you best and get a perfectly installed turf today!